I have finished the first stage of my study for a painting that’s in the works. All the running design is there, which is the main passage that I’m wondering about. Having painted it once, I can contemplate better how its perspective ought to go. I won’t be approaching it scientifically — no point perspective for me — too much a recipe for headache for an innumerate like me.
Instead just seeing the pattern that I’ve painted, I’ll figure out something that I like, some version of what I see that fits together with the other components of the painting in question.
An earlier stage of this study appears below.
I don’t know why it’s so important for me to sneak up on my paintings, though I wanted some practice painting the elaborate cloth that rests on the table.
I get ideas along the way, some of which I’ll record here so that I’ll have a reminder I can access if perchance I forget what I was doing …. So the black in the design above I have varied a little using four mixtures — mars black & chrome green; mars black & quinacridone purple; yellow ochre & mars black; and mars black & thalo blue (red shade with some white). In each case it lightens and gives the black a chromatic base.
It’s hard as I paint the study (9 x 12 on Arches oil paper) to see all the color effects because the light in the room is rather low. So taking the picture outdoors to photograph it served a dual purpose: make a record of its progress and see what it actually looks like!
The pink part of the pattern is lighter than necessary. I decided to start light and adjust the color going forward. I might experiment with using glazes for some of the color adjustment — not sure yet.
In the actual painting another bottle sits next to this dark blue bottle. But that’s okay. One thing at a time. The other bottle has a hole in the center.