strange saga of the current painting

limoges painting on may 21.jpg

Here’s how the painting with the Limoges vase looks today after I spent yesterday working on the green cloth.  It still has a ways to go but it’s getting closer and closer to my mental target.

I painted this picture over two other motifs.  The first surprisingly enough was a painting of horses that I decided I didn’t like.  Over the horses I painted the first flower motif, one that was very different from the picture as it exists this morning.  In between was a version that included the Limoges vase but had different flowers.  Here’s the trip back under the layers of paint.

Here’s how the painting looked in 2016 when I quit working on it.

early version of Limoges in 2016

And here’s the wild and wacky version of the flowers in 2011:

limoges flowers early-stage-oct-2011

I wrote a blog about the wacky version here and here:

https://alethakuschan.wordpress.com/2011/10/01/these-flowers-arent-shy/

https://alethakuschan.wordpress.com/2016/04/27/reckless-abandon/

And here’s the picture of the horses, that dates back to 2008, that lies underneath everything:

ToyHorsesOnParade under flowers

So, is that weird or what.

I just hope the horses stay forever behind the other paint because I’m really loving the painting now.